DAILY PHOTOS TENTH YEAR - johnloguk

15.03.17 - Ghosts

This is what remains of the control tower at the old RAF North Witham airbase. It was established in 1943 and closed in late 1945, so was relatively short lived. It was used jointly by the RAF and USAAF, but was mainly a base for American military transport aircraft. After the war it was taken over by the Forestry Commission and millions of trees were planted there. The area is now known as Twyford Woods and includes a butterfly reserve. Much of the main runways still remain, creating a surreal atmosphere in the forest. It is well worth exploring, and the control tower is quite difficult to find.

airbaseairfieldcontrol towerRAFnorth withamUSAAFsepiamonochrome